Take the Paired Conjunction Quiz ThoughtCo
The construction not only....but (also) is called a correlative conjunction. It is used to present two related pieces of information. Both pieces of information are being presented by the writer as surprising or unexpected, with the second one being even more surprising than the first.... When you read, you can not only learn some new words, but also you can learn how to use these English words. I thought the sentence should be : "When you read, not only you can learn some new words, but also you can learn how to use these English words.
English Sentences with Audio Using the Word "But"
The day was bright and sunny after a sharp night frost, and the cheerful glitter of that autumn day was in keeping with the news of victory which was conveyed, not only by the tales of those who had taken part in it, but also by the joyful expression on the faces of soldiers, officers, generals, and adjutants, as they passed Rostov going or coming....Also, the mass media do not modify society only, but also the single persons, their mentality, [...] their interests, their attitudes, their behaviours, and even their psychology, their capacity and reactions.
How and when to use the "Not only...but also" construction
8/06/2012 · Not only it could reduce waste, but also it would produce energy. I had this sentence corrected by a native speaker, and he said "could" in this sentence should be put after the subject as follows. Not only could it reduce waste, but also it would produce energy. I am wondering if how this grammar rule be applied how to stop sunroof from leaking The only categorical exception to this recommendation is when the components of the "not only" and "but also" components are so long that readers may lose sight of the controlling structure without a comma to signal the break between the "not only" piece and the "but also" piece.. How to see notifiction history in chrome
Take the Paired Conjunction Quiz ThoughtCo
- HOME [www.towson.edu]
- Rule of Parallel Structure Grammar.com
- not only but also Aprendeinglesenleganes
- Rules for Finding and Fixing Errors in Parallel Structure
Not only do I have to now install the operating system again, but also buy a new computer. It seems to me that we typically do inversion in English when a sentence or clause begins with a negative word or phrase (the operative word here is begins).
- Writers often have difficulty determining the word order in sentences in which the phrase “not only” appears followed by an example and then, subsequent to “but also,” another example.
- Not only did it seem to him (as to all administrators) that he controlled the external actions of Moscow's inhabitants, but he also thought he controlled their mental attitude by means of his broadsheets and posters, written in a coarse tone which the people despise in their own class and do not understand from those in authority.
- Depending upon the sentence structure one of the following can be used: 1. besides 2. as well as 3. in addition 4. in addition to 5. also 6. aside from 7. beyond just 8. just 9. merely 10. not just 11. on top of 12. simply 13. together with 14. to...
- This also applies to not only. . .but also, and neither. . .nor. The subject closest to the verb determines whether the verb is singular or plural. The subject closest to the verb determines whether the verb is singular or plural.
You can find us here:
- Australian Capital Territory: Bonner ACT, Bonner ACT, Banks ACT, Spence ACT, O'Malley ACT, ACT Australia 2696
- New South Wales: Bradbury NSW, Toomelah NSW, Wentworth Falls NSW, Ilford NSW, Greengrove NSW, NSW Australia 2043
- Northern Territory: The Gardens NT, Humpty Doo NT, Renner Springs NT, Kalkarindji NT, Renner Springs NT, Stapleton NT, NT Australia 0832
- Queensland: Broughton QLD, Mingoola QLD, Zilzie QLD, Kincora QLD, QLD Australia 4063
- South Australia: Mallala SA, Port Arthur SA, Yahl SA, Hampstead Gardens SA, Yumali SA, Merriton SA, SA Australia 5042
- Tasmania: Derwent Bridge TAS, Dromedary TAS, West Pine TAS, TAS Australia 7098
- Victoria: Braybrook VIC, Colac VIC, Bushland Beach VIC, Warrandyte VIC, Nirranda VIC, VIC Australia 3006
- Western Australia: Dale WA, Perenjori WA, Wicherina WA, WA Australia 6082
- British Columbia: West Kelowna BC, Port Clements BC, Kimberley BC, Quesnel BC, Penticton BC, BC Canada, V8W 5W1
- Yukon: Takhini Hot Springs YT, Coffee Creek YT, Teslin YT, Teslin Crossing YT, Jensen Creek YT, YT Canada, Y1A 9C8
- Alberta: Coalhurst AB, Devon AB, Medicine Hat AB, Consort AB, Edmonton AB, Empress AB, AB Canada, T5K 9J7
- Northwest Territories: Deline NT, Wrigley NT, Fort Simpson NT, Behchoko? NT, NT Canada, X1A 1L9
- Saskatchewan: Pilger SK, Stockholm SK, Consul SK, Warman SK, Ogema SK, Wood Mountain SK, SK Canada, S4P 9C2
- Manitoba: Glenboro MB, Dauphin MB, Rossburn MB, MB Canada, R3B 7P1
- Quebec: Massueville QC, Brome Lake QC, Desbiens QC, Baie-Trinite QC, Scotstown QC, QC Canada, H2Y 5W8
- New Brunswick: Campobello Island NB, Stanley NB, Oromocto NB, NB Canada, E3B 4H9
- Nova Scotia: Port Hood NS, Trenton NS, Truro NS, NS Canada, B3J 6S8
- Prince Edward Island: St. Nicholas PE, Lorne Valley PE, Brackley PE, PE Canada, C1A 1N4
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Botwood NL, Triton NL, Sunnyside NL, Gaskiers-Point La Haye NL, NL Canada, A1B 3J6
- Ontario: Stoney Creek ON, Stones Corners ON, Ronaldson ON, Sand Bay Corner, Peel ON, The North Shore ON, Newburgh ON, ON Canada, M7A 4L4
- Nunavut: Clyde River NU, Bay Chimo (Umingmaktok) NU, NU Canada, X0A 1H9
- England: Kidderminster ENG, Kettering ENG, Bognor Regis ENG, Peterborough ENG, London ENG, ENG United Kingdom W1U 7A5
- Northern Ireland: Bangor NIR, Bangor NIR, Belfast NIR, Belfast NIR, Bangor NIR, NIR United Kingdom BT2 8H8
- Scotland: Dundee SCO, Kirkcaldy SCO, Cumbernauld SCO, East Kilbride SCO, Kirkcaldy SCO, SCO United Kingdom EH10 3B2
- Wales: Neath WAL, Barry WAL, Neath WAL, Cardiff WAL, Cardiff WAL, WAL United Kingdom CF24 1D3